Sunday, September 14, 2014

Fall Decorating....On A Budget!

So you may have noticed that there is no "Tasty Sunday" recipe today.
Well that's because I have been too busy decorating for the best season of the whole year....Fall!!!

Since I live in an apartment, I'm kind of limited on space to display seasonal decorations, but I try to make the best of what I have....which pretty much comes down to my dining room table. (I drool over Pinterest pictures of beautiful northern houses with their decorated fireplace mantles and front porches) 
This year I was determined to make a simple yet beautiful table by shopping smartly, re-purposing things that I already had lying around the house while also creating something that could stay up for Halloween and Thanksgiving. (Reversible sign!) 

This is what I came up with!
I hope you love it as much as I do, and can gain some ideas and inspiration. 










Things I already had (these are all things that you could easily buy at a garage sale or thrift store):
Table cloth 
White pitcher 
Cookbook stand
Bird salt and pepper shakers

Things I bought:
Candles (Dollar Tree) $1 each
Glass cups (Dollar Tree) $1 each
Fall leaves (Dollar Tree) $1 for a strand
Pumpkins (Dollar Tree) $1 each
Cast iron branch candle stick (Home Goods) $9.99
3 Wheat bushels (60% off at Michael's)  $3.99 each
Beans, yellow split peas, and green split peas (Publix) $4.33 total
Fall kitchen towels (Walmart) $1.98 each

Things I made: 
* Burlap table runner- for this I just cut from a big roll of burlap that I bought from Walmart for a little over $5. It was enough to run the length of my whole table, use for another craft, and I still have some left over. You might not be able to tell in the pictures, but it actually has gold strands running through it!
* Reversible Halloween/Thanksgiving sign- for this craft I only used items that I scavenged, had on hand from other crafts, or borrowed. 
- The wood was scrap from Kevin's shop
-The stain was borrowed from my friend Kera (thanks Kera!!)
-The white paint and brushes were left over from other crafts
Including drying time this only took about two hours to make, and then I just propped it in my cookbook stand!

1 comment: