Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Sleep Walkin'

I've been told since I was pretty young that I talk a little in my sleep. My response always used to be DENIAL. Well it seems as though like many of my other habits, my poor sleeping habits have escalated with age.

I have heard that kids sleep walk a lot when their young, but that most grow out of it as adults. Why must I do everything backwards????

Things all started to go downhill when I took a job at a Gelato shop almost two years ago. This was the first job I'd ever had that required working well into the night. Some nights we didn't close until midnight, and then there was the clean up that was at least an hour. Even when I got home, I was so hyped up on sugar from "testing" Gelato all night that I wouldn't actually fall asleep until almost three in the morning. Your probably saying she's young, that's nothing. Well I really like my sleep and when I say really I mean, REALLY! I can literally fall asleep anywhere and will happily stay asleep through hell and high water.

You name a place and time and I will have no problems I promise you.
 It truly is a gift.

Well anyways, I started noticing that I was having extremely vivid dreams.....of being at work!! What the hell, I just got off work and I'm going to continue to dream about it until I wake up and have to start all over again!?! I have always had vivid dreams but now I was starting to wake up feeling just as exhausted as when I went to sleep in the first place.


Waking up one morning (ok more like afternoon) Kevin mentioned to me how he was tired because I kept him up all night. Apparently during the night while "sleeping" I gave him complete directions on how to make the perfect latte (something I had to do a lot at work) just in case he wanted to know. I must point out that he now has no excuse for not having one ready for me when I wake up in the morning. I mean he basically sat through a seminar about it. 

Things started to get worse. Not only was I talking every night in my dreams, but apparently I was now starting to wander around the apartment in the middle of the night. He claims that I have never gone passed the front door to the outside world, but being half asleep himself, how can I trust him to keep a watchful eye on me??? I rarely remember what the dream consists of in these instances. I wouldn't even believed him in the first place if it weren't for the fact that I often wake up and find myself standing in my living room at four in the morning. I then wander back to bed, and fall back asleep angry that I have done it once again. 

At one point I started to feel bad for my neighbors. I would frequently wake up, to find myself staring out of my bedroom window into the darkness. I doubt there were many people looking out of their windows at that time of night, but if they did they had to have seen me and think that I was possessed by the devil or something (I don't do this anymore...I think). Someone suggested that maybe I talk to ghosts in my sleep.
We won't go there.

Although I have stopped working late hours the crazy dreams, and the sleep talking/walking have not slowed down which means I pretty much never feel like I have slept. Having the feeling that any minute my eyes are going to roll back, my head is going to slam into my desk, only to be immediately followed by the sound of snoring has become part of the everyday grind. C'est la vie!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment