Sunday, July 27, 2014

Sliced Lemon Cake With Blueberry Sauce

This is one of the few instances where I am writing this post, while indeed stuffing my face with the Tasty Sunday recipe of the week. I just can't get enough of it!!!

Lemon makes such a great dessert and doesn't give off the heaviness that comes from a lot of chocolate creations. 
People love lemon so much, that my Mother's Day Lemon Cake is my most viewed post on Little Fish Livin'!!!!

Since it was such a hit, I decided to try my hand at another lemon cake recipe....this time, with blueberry sauce. 
It's ok, you can start drooling now.



The funniest thing about this combo, is that I can't even eat blueberries.
I've never even eaten one in my life!
When I was little, I had an allergic reaction after eating raspberries, and the doctor informed my mom that I was allergic to all berries. (They also tell me that I could have outgrown this allergy by now, but honestly who really wants to test that out???)
People have mentioned (just a few times throughout my life) that because of this sad edible circumstance, I have missed out on one of the great pleasures of food....well I guess I just don't know any better.
I don't know what it is, but this little brain of mine thought that lemon and blueberry would go pretty well together. Maybe it's just always seeing the two things associated with summer????

So while Kevin enjoys his lemon cake, a la blueberry, I'll be having mine plain thank you very much.
Which tastes pretty dang delicious to me, I might add.  

Ingredients:
2 eggs
1 cup of vanilla Greek yogurt
1 cup of sugar
1/4 cup of canola oil
zest of 1 lemon
3 Tbs. of lemon juice 
2 cups of flour
1 1/2 tsp. of baking powder
1/2 tsp. of baking soda
1/4 tsp. of salt

For The Glaze: 
1/2 cup of powdered sugar
2 Tbs. of lemon juice
1 tsp. of lemon zest 

For The Blueberry Sauce: 
1 1/2 cups of fresh blueberries 
3 Tbs. of sugar
1 1/8 tsp. of corn starch
1 Tbs. of water
1/2 Tbs. of lemon juice 

First, start off with the lemons. 
You could use store bought lemon juice, but let's be honest....fresh squeezed is always better.
I myself, can never remember to actually buy a lemon squeezer or a zester, so I have to rely on my hands and the super fine section of my cheese grater....we keep it really sophisticated in this kitchen, let me tell you. 
I bought 6 lemons for this recipe, because every element requires it in some way, and you just never know how much juice they are going to produce....I ended up using five and had some juice left over, but buy however many you feel comfortable with. (No one wants to make an emergency trip to the grocery store)



Once you have juiced and zested, your ready to begin on your cake.
To a large mixing bowl add the eggs, sugar, yogurt, oil, zest of one lemon, and 3 Tbs. of juice.
Whisk together until completely blended. 
 FYI this is my favorite brand of yogurt...I eat it almost every day for lunch with a little granola!!!

These individual cups are 1/2 cup each.


In another bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. 
Pour the flour mixture into the large mixing bowl containing your egg and lemon mixture.
Stir ingredients until they are all integrated. 
Do not over-stir!!!
Chefs Note: I contemplated using an electric mixer for this recipe, but because it's home made and is naturally a denser cake, I didn't want to risk it becoming tough. Over-mixing can make cakes tough as well as cause them not to rise as much while baking. I read that boxed mixes contain "extra ingredients" that make it impossible to be over-mixed....freaky. 


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Prep your 9x5 loaf pan by spraying it with non-stick cooking spray and then sprinkling with flour.
Knock out any excess flour.
Pour batter into the pan and bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. 



Allow the pan to cool for a few minutes, but then carefully remove cake and place on a wire cooling rack. You don't want your cake to keep cooking in the pan after you take it out of the oven. 

While the cake continues to cool, it's time to prep the glaze!
In a liquid measuring cup, whisk together the powdered sugar, 2 Tbs. of lemon juice, and 1 tsp. of lemon zest. 
Once the cake is completely cooled, slowly pour the glaze over the cake, letting the excess drip down the sides. 


If you don't want blueberry sauce the good news is your done!!!
To make a truly fantastic dessert, lets get started on the sauce.
The best part of this sauce is that it takes all of about five minutes to make. 

Note that the amount of blueberry sauce was made with only Kevin eating it in mind. If your making it with the intent of putting it on every piece, or if you just want extra for later (blueberry pancakes anyone??) then you might want to double it. 

Turn your burner to medium-high heat, and add the blueberries and sugar to a saucepan. 


While the berries and sugar are heating, whisk together your cornstarch, water, and 1/2 Tbs. of lemon juice in a separate bowl. 
Stir the blueberries and sugar occasionally until they have produced that beautiful blue juice. 
Add the cornstarch mixture to the blueberries and bring to a boil.
Reduce the heat, and simmer for one minute. 
Remove from the heat, and there you have it!!


Enjoy, your sauce while still hot, or allow to cool.
Slice yourself a piece of cake, and top with those blueberries!!



I hope your savoring those little bundles of juice enough for the both of us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment