Sunday, August 24, 2014

Vanilla Cream French Toast Sticks

I'll admit that I'm not much of a breakfast person.

I eat a small bowl of cereal every morning, but for the most part I don't really like breakfast foods....particularly eggs (blahh). Honestly I could wake up in the morning and go straight to lunch, no problem, but because Kevin LOVES a big breakfast I thought I would make an exception this Sunday. 
He is a big fan of french toast but due to the fact that the bread is dipped in eggs I haven't really enjoyed it much in the past...until I found this recipe.

Most french toast recipes are just way to eggy for me, and I needed something with other flavors to counter that taste. 
Between the cream, the vanilla, and the cinnamon, this recipe is a hit even with me! 
If you are always on the go, or have kiddos, this is the perfect breakfast for you. Cutting them into sticks makes them easy to eat in the car, or for little hands that don't like to use forks quite yet. 

Ingredients: 
8 slices of white Texas Toast bread
5 eggs
1 cup of heavy whipping cream 
2 Tablespoons of milk
1 Tablespoon of sugar
2 teaspoons of cinnamon 
1 Tablespoon of vanilla extract 
3 Tablespoons of butter
Powdered sugar
Maple syrup 


Apparently no one in south Florida uses Texas Toast because I couldn't find it anywhere and it was driving me crazy (I couldn't even find any different brands that offered "thick slices"). Hopefully for you, your grocery store will carry it in stock. I settled for the thickest slices I could find but you could also ask the bakery to slice a loaf of their bread into thick slices for you. You want thick slices because normal slices easily break apart when dipped in the batter. 

Use a bread knife, or any other serrated knife to cut each slice into 4 strips. 


In a large bowl, crack 5 eggs.
Use a fork to whisk the eggs apart.
To the eggs, add the whipping cream, milk, vanilla, sugar, and cinnamon. 
Mix until completely blended.
It should look like this! 


Heat a large saucepan on medium heat and add one tablespoon of butter. 
Every stove is different, so if medium is cooking your sticks too quickly causing them to burn, turn it down slightly. 
While cooking, every time your butter runs dry in your pan, add another tablespoon. 

Once your first pat of butter is melted and pan is hot, quickly dip each strip in the mixture, let the excess drip off, and then add to the pan. 
I wouldn't recommend adding more than four strips to the pan at once, because it will get too crowded and hard to flip the sticks. 
Once the sticks are golden brown (or black if your like Kevin and like your toast burnt) on one side, gently flip them.
Once fully cooked add some powdered sugar and some syrup for dipping, and you have the perfect breakfast!


No comments:

Post a Comment