Sunday, August 31, 2014

Brunch Time Lemon Rolls

Ok this is the last lemon recipe of the summer I swear!!!
I don't know what was with me this season, but I wanted lemon in anything and everything I could put it in. 

I'll admit this weeks recipe was sort of an experiment. 
I have read this recipe in a few other places and although it is easy, I had never used frozen dough before and they were so vague about what to do and how long things take, so I decided to become your guinea pig to try and get some more answers...your welcome. 

Like I said, these rolls are SOOO easy to make, but they are a waiting game. They are perfect if you are making them for a lunch/brunch occasion but if you try and make them for breakfast, you'll have to wake up before the sun comes up....and we just don't do that on Sunday's. 

Let's start with ingredients...

Ingredients: 
12 thawed dough balls (everyone raves about Rhodes brand, so thats what I got)
Zest of 2 lemons
1/2 cup of sugar (debatable)
1/4 cup of butter 

For the icing: 
1/2 cup of powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons of lemon juice
1 Tablespoon of butter 

You will also need a 9x13 baking pan, and plastic wrap. 



First things first, you have to thaw these suckers out before you even think about using them.
Put 12 in a large bowl, so that they aren't touching each other. 
Let them sit until thawed but still cold. 
This took about an hour in my kitchen (see, this sounds like a good thing to know!)


After they are thawed, you are going to cut them in half.
Nobody seemed to explain why we are cutting them in half......well my best guess is that they rise faster and also these rolls get pretty big when their whole, and we want dainty little cuties!!!!
So now we are going to end up with 24 rolls in the end. 


In a greased 9x13 baking pan, place each half of your dough equally spaced apart, flat side down. 


Zest two lemons to combine with the sugar.
Ok the reason I said 1/2 cup of sugar was debatable up in the ingredients list is because I think they would probably taste just as good with half the sugar. By the time you add the glaze, you won't be thinking "wow I really wish I would have doubled the sugar on top"...trust me.
So if your like me and like to go a little lighter on the sugar, only use 1/4 cup or 1/3 of a cup. If you tend to have a sweet tooth, go ahead and go for that 1/2 cup!!

Now comes the butter....yes butter ladies and gentleman, but just remember these are a treat!!
Melt 1/4 cup of butter and pour over all of the dough. 

Take half of your zest and sugar mixture and sprinkle over the top, reserving the other half for later. 


Spray a large piece of plastic wrap with cooking spray, and use it to cover the dough to start the rising process. 
Make sure you really tuck those babies in nice and tight, it will help the process. 


Now comes some more waiting...
Let the dough sit on the counter and wait for it to double in size. 
For me they took an hour and a half. 
I probably should have let them go two hours, but I just couldn't wait any longer!!!


Once they have doubled, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. 
Sprinkle the rest of your sugar and zest over them, and place into your heated oven and let bake for 20-25 minutes or until they are starting to brown on top. 

While your waiting for them to come out of the oven, make your glaze. 
Whisk together 1/2 cup of powdered sugar, 2 Tablespoons of fresh lemon juice, and 1 Tablespoon of melted butter. 
When the rolls are done baking, let them cool slightly and then pour on the glaze.

By the time they are done, you will probably be burning your fingers like me, trying to get them out of the pan to eat them immediately...... and it will be completely worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment