Sunday, June 8, 2014

Crunchy Parmesan Zucchini Slices

So with my new workout plan comes a new diet, but lets be real...it's Sunday.

So while I am on this healthier diet, I still want to make something as a treat, especially since Sunday happens to be my rest day.

This week I will be working with zucchini, which happens to be high on my "must eat" list, but I am going to spice it up a bit with some crunchy goodness!!


This recipe is based on my moms recipe for "zucchini bites" but I altered some of the ingredients to make them a little healthier. This includes taking out the butter and replacing a whole egg bath with an egg white only one. I also decided to replace grated Parmesan with shredded, which I think has more flavor!  

Ingredients:
1 whole zucchini
1/4 cup of shredded Parmesan cheese 
1/2 cup of Italian bread crumbs
1 egg white 
Pepper 




Preheat your oven to 475 degrees and lightly grease a baking sheet. 
Slice your zucchini into 1/4 inch slices.


Carefully crack your egg and move your yolk back and forth between the shells, letting only the egg white drop into your bowl. 
In another bowl, combine about a 1/2 cup of bread crumbs, 1/4 cup of cheese, and a few cracks of pepper.


Dip the zucchini slices into the egg white, bread both sides thoroughly, and place on the baking sheet. 


Put in the oven for five minutes. 
Take out of the oven, flip your slices with a fork, and sprinkle your left over bread crumb combo on the other side (I found this step necessary because some of the toppings stick to the pan, and this ensures complete zucchini coverage for your final result).
Put back in the oven for another five minutes or until they are crispy brown. 


And there you have it, a tasty little treat without breaking your diet....too badly. 


No comments:

Post a Comment